April 2 by The Running Son
Five ways to practice yoga
that will change your life
By Michael Lee, M.A.
Founder, Phoenix Rising Yoga Therapy
If you are into Yoga you will want to get all you can from it. Yoga is a powerful practice and can give you a whole lot more than a limber body. If you want MORE… here’s how.
1. DO IT EVERY DAY – well six out of seven anyway! Going to a class once a week is important and you will get ten times more from your yoga practice if you also have a routine that you do at home on a daily basis. An hour a day is great but a half hour will make a difference. In the early eighties I practiced over an hour every single day for eighteen months straight, and my life became very different as a result.
2. FOCUS ON WHAT YOU ARE DOING – Yoga is not like exercise that you just go through the movements without any concentration or do while listening to your walkman. You will get much more if you focus your attention on what is happening moment to moment as you engage each posture.
3. PLAY THE EDGE – Its not about how far you get in each stretch or how good you are. Find your own edge in each posture and play with it as you breathe. Don’t push or effort. Instead try relaxing into the edge – that place that feels just right – not too much – not too little.
4. FEEL IT ALL – when you hang out in a yoga posture breathe and feel. Notice what is happening not just in your body, but also watch what you are thinking and notice what you are feeling. Whatever it is, don’t try to change it. Just experience it. Be with it.
5. TRY DIFFERENT STYLES AND FIND ONE THAT IS RIGHT FOR YOU – There are more styles of yoga than there are brands of breakfast cereal. Some are slow and meditative, some hot and vigorous. Some are spiritual as well as physical. Some even help you solve life’s problems. Find one that resonates with you and meets your needs. Notice I said needs, not preferences. You might ask yourself, What do I really need in my life and which style or approach to yoga is most likely to give me that?
Michael Lee is the founder of Phoenix Rising Yoga Therapy – a leading edge body-mind modality that has over 900 trained practitioners worldwide. He is also the author of Phoenix Rising Yoga Therapy – A Bridge from Body to Soul, and a contributing author to the APA published Beyond Talk Therapy – Using Movement and Expressive Techniques in Clinical Practice.
Visit www.pryt.com for Michaels books and tapes
[ Source: http://occult-advances.org/nc-spi-5-ways-yoga.shtml ]